Saturday, April 15, 2017

Family and Trust: Fast and Furious 8 (Movie Review)

"It's been a long day without you, my friend."
"It's been a long day without you, my friend." Indeed, it's been a long time since Furious 7's release, and it's also been a long time since I last did a movie review. I wanted to make a movie review for Beauty and the Beast, too, had it not been for my busy work schedule. 

This summer (in the Philippines), I wanted to treat my younger bro to his favorite film franchise. I had a lot of thoughts about Fate of the Furious a.k.a. Fast and Furious 8, and how it did even without Paul Walker. Note that this movie-going experience was planned from the very first trailer release around December.

Spoiler alert! Plot and ending info might be mentioned beyond this point.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Trust Issues

Furious 8 is one of those films that will teach you about trust. While the metaphor about family is spread throughout the movie, it is still the issue of trust that I find the best point about the film. When the trailer showed that Dom (Vin Diesel) will "betray his family", I got intrigued as to why he would do that. Surely there was a reason - to save another family.

The film shows us the moral lesson that people do things for a reason. There are reasons why people betray you and there are reasons why they choose to stay. You shouldn't judge a person who has betrayed you after all these years just for a small issue, because that person shouldn't have been with you in the first place if they weren't trustworthy.

The key to a healthy relationship or friendship in every form is trust - believe in yourself, in your friends, family and the people you love. This film has a big impact for me because I've been through a similar experience (this happens to every series or film I watch anyway, that an event or theme is almost always parallel with my current life situation).

In the same way, the film also expresses that everything we do is based on choices, as Charlize Theron's character said in the film. However it doesn't mean that everything is predestined - we have the power to change our fate.

Cars Gone Wild

While there are no cars jumping between buildings unlike the previous film, there are still cars running rampant due to the villain's cyberterrorism skills and the God's Eye being able to make it rain cars from a building - a scene I find really cool about the film. It is a technologically-possible scene, too, but the plan to execute it is something quite cinematic.

Gravity Falls

This is the main reason I wanted to write this review. I'm sure I'm not the only one who didn't realize that Charlize Theron's character, "Cipher", is a nod to Gravity Falls:

"Reality is an illusion."

A big hint to this is her using the God's Eye program to peek into everything - kind of like how Bill Cipher was able to see and control almost everything. Cipher's metaphysical speech also adds up to the hint of our fabulous little triangle villain from a Disney-aired series.

British Next Door

Jason Statham being one of the good guys is another thing that piqued my interest. We all know how awesome he is in action films, and "dying too soon" in one part of the film just isn't like it. My mom is pretty good at knowing plots and that's why she knew something was up with Statham's character - and she was right that she's the "trump card" of the team. 

Adding to that, he's also the new "Pacifier" - probably a scene that has been recommended by The Rock himself. Statham's expertise in action films just makes me wish for a Kids Next Door live action film featuring the operatives as adults and Nigel Uno (Numbah 1) being played by Jason Statham is one of the best things to happen in live action films (but that's just my wishful thinking).

For Paul

I was one of those folks who went "awwww" at the ending, where Dom named the baby "Bryan" in honor of Paul's "retired" character in the film. I think it's a great conclusion to Paul's role in the series and I'm sure somewhere out there in the spirit world, he is applauding teary-eyed in this film.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Spoilers end here.

To wrap it all up, I think that Fate of the Furious a.k.a. Fast and Furious 8 is a great film overall, considering I don't really like film sequels, anthologies and franchises. I grew up with mostly English-language films - with a mom who loves to watch action films and a dad who loves science fiction, so what's not to like? Besides, even it's for my younger bro, I gotta admit that action films really entertain and motivate me in a lot of ways.

1 comment:

Blogger said...

Quantum Binary Signals

Get professional trading signals sent to your cell phone daily.

Follow our trades right now & gain up to 270% per day.