Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Slenderman or Operator: Always Watching: A Marble Hornets Story 2015 Movie Review

Poster for "Always Watching: A Marble Hornets Story" a.k.a. Slenderman / Operator Move 2015.

MarbleHornets is an ARG that I am not really that familiar of, but I've known about the Creepypasta / Mythos of Slenderman and the poster for the 2015 indie horror film, Always Watching: A Marble Hornets Story, got me intrigued.


Plot


The film is in the style of the suddenly-popular single camera format that makes it somehow realistic. It follows the misadventures of a news team as they are slowly haunted by The Operator (MarbleHornets counterpart of Slenderman). The protagonist, Milo, has some weird obsession for stalking his (seemingly) ex, who is also part of the news team he's in.

The plot is quite standard but presented in a way such that it matches the true nature of the Operator/Slenderman mythos.

Deeper Meaning


--Spoilers start here--

I personally think that the Operator causing insanity and a complex for stalking others is on a metaphorical level, just like how he stalks the victims. Maybe it's safe to assume that the Operator is somewhat a metaphorical manifestation of people's mad obsessions and unattainable goals in life, like the protagonist's desire for the woman that he will never have back.

--Spoilers end here--

Cinematography


Judging from other similar single-camera movies like The Bay, I think Always Watching: A Marble Hornets Story has less pretentious camera movements, which makes it a lot better to watch, plus the addition of the CCTV footage. I also like how the Operator was portrayed, and the glitch effects are awesome - it was like watching a playthrough of Slender, tbh.

Slendy Dream Prediction


Not movie-related but Slenderman-related:

I had this dream of a man in suit when I was 4 to 6 years old and the setting was our old apartment in my relatives’ house. He was pretty scary but I didn’t really see his face but his motif was definitely a black-and-white thing like Slenderman, and THAT WAS WAYYYY EVEN BEFORE I EVER KNEW THE EXISTENCE OF SUCH A CREATURE, okay. (trust me, these unintentional predictions happen a lot to me)

Conclusion

Whether it's Slendy or Operator, you gotta admit that Always Watching: A Marble Hornets Story 2015 is a movie that will give you nightmare fuel, and also here to remind us that sometimes, the monsters are within all of us and not just in mythos or online creepypastas. I'm really glad that even if it's not exactly Slendy, the no-faced guy got himself a movie that was shown in some cinemas in the Philippines!

No comments: