Monday, February 9, 2015

Valentine's Special: 10 Saddest Love and Friendship Stories


Throughout my life, I've read and watched countless romantic stories, although you know very well that I dislike romance. But there are some that actually stand out, and focus not on the romantic love, but the bond of friendship that binds the love. Since it's Valentines's Day soon, here are 10 saddest love and friendship stories from all sorts of media (specifically, my top 10 greatest tragic OTPs ever), in no particular order:

Jellal Fernandes and Erza Scarlet (Fairy Tail)

 


It's rare for me to ship people from shonen anime (or even watch mainstream shonen anime, for that matter) but Jellal and Erza's love story is what got me interested in Fairy Tail in the first place. Though shonen anime has this general rule of couples not ending up with each other and I know that JerZa is far from being actual canon, it's one of my greatest tragic couples, ever.

Lewis and Vivi (Ghost Animated)

 


This one is new on my list, since I just discovered Ghost Animated about a year late. Though at first they may seem a one-sided couple, but it's actually a tragic sacrificial relationship, wrecked by jealousy and the occult. It's one of the saddest love stories I've ever watched in my entire life.

Shuu and Hana (ME!ME!ME!)

 



Not exactly tragic, but for me, it is. If you saw how Shuu struggled so hard to get rid of his hentai fantasies just to save his relationship with Hana, then that's really some tragic material. It's not only a sad love story, but also a real social issue that's happening today. 

Tazusa Sakurano and Pete Pumps (Ginban Kaleidoscope)

 


Don't even get me started on this tragic couple. They really mirror my real life experience (just as Shuu and Hana and mostly everyone in this list), but more literally. I have no more words to say about them because this is self-explanatory, other than "Your Guardian Angel".

Duke MacGahan and David Hoover (The Crooked Man)

 


Arguably my most favorite bromance, and the most tragic one at that point. Their friendship is something beyond life and death, and also mirrored in my real life experiences. I just wished it would've ended better for them, or they would see each other again more often.

Rin Matsuoka and Haruka Nanase (Free!)

 


I need not say more about this splashing bromance. It's a mainstream anime couple (but not as much as MakoHaru but who cares), but for me, their friendship is really something (you know very well that KyoAni stuff work like that). Worth noting is that Haru is a Cancer zodiac, like me (and we share a lot of similarities).

Yami and Yugi (Yu-Gi-Oh!)

 


http://kazaki03.deviantart.com/art/Yami-Yugi-110607790
Sorry I didn't get a chance to do any fanart of them together.

This is actually my very first bromance (and I didn't notice it before but I shipped them after all) during my high school days. They are tragic because of the ending (that I got spoiled even though I haven't finished the whole series). 

Mamoru Chiba and Usagi Tsukino (Sailor Moon / Crystal)

 


Nothing beats the classic, they say. Back then when I was a little kid, I didn't know why they had to be a couple, they just are. But now that I've watched the 2014 remake, I finally know why they are tragic.

Akihito Kanbara and Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata)

 

KyoAni romance, ah yes. But this is no ordinary romance or friendship. This is something that transcends *puts on sunglasses* beyond the boundary.

Garry and Ib (Ib)



Last, but not really the least, I don't really care whether people don't like them to be shipped together (for age gap reasons). I think they are perfect even if not in romantic love - just that brother and sister bond that I love so much. After all, Garry is a tragic character in one of the endings.

No comments: