Thursday, November 20, 2014

10 Most Heartbreaking Oldies Songs


Since my mom listens to oldies almost all the time, even since I was a kid, I've gotten accustomed to some oldies songs and some of them are really painful with the lyrics. Here are 10 heartbreaking oldies songs that really wounded my heart, even more when I found out the story behind the song.

My Top 10 Saddest Oldies

10. Roberta Flack - Killing Me Softly with His Song


We've all had that idol singer, composer, artist, celebrity, etc. person who is just too famous to even care about us, even with the current social media technology. His/her works may have influenced our lives greatly ("he sang as if he knew me") and we just wanted some appreciation but it's the complete opposite.  

9. Celine Dion - My Heart Will Go On


Nothing else makes you cry eternally than the movie Titanic. Enough said.

8. Ray Peterson - Tell Laura I Love Her


A car racer risks his life just to give his loved one a wedding ring / proposal and then he ends up dying in a car crash. Another good example of tragic romance.

7. Martina McBride - My Valentine


I didn't really feel that much for this song back then, until I watched the music video, which showed that the song was intended for a dead loved one who died on February 14th. Ouch.

6. Carpenters - Superstar


Imagine if your ex-whatever or unrequited crush/love is now a famous singer and you'll just get haunted by his songs on the radio (and nowadays, on TV, YouTube, iTunes or Spotify). "Don't you remember you told me you love me, baby?" Imagine how painful is that. 

5. Tom Jones - Green Green Grass of Home


I've always wondered about this song's meaning since I was a child. I know it's a man reminiscing his home that has green grass and his family, but the "four great walls that surround me" turns it around. I thought it was a hospital or hotel room, but it was actually a prison cell, and "sad old padre" is a priest that's present in the cell. And yep, "as they lay me beneath the green green grass of home" means that the man underwent execution and they buried him on his home to be seen by his family. Dang, that plot twist.

4. Mary McGregor - I've Never Been to Me


This song is kinda deep, because according to my mother, it talks about womanhood and being a housewife. It's a conversation between a trapped housewife who wanted to explore the world and a free single woman who's explored the world but doesn't have anyone. Freedom is such a painful word for me due to my personal experiences, but maybe I'll understand this song better when I'm older. Or something.

3. Jose Mari Chan - Constant Change


Nothing hurts so bad like "Have we outgrown our Peter Pans and wings? / We've simply grown too old for tales of knights and kings / 'Cause life's a constant change / and nothing stays the same / oh no". The saddest truth of life is that you can't stay a kid forever.

2. Lea Salonga - Sa Ugoy ng Duyan (In the cradle's rocking)


I'm pretty sure every single Filipino who listens to this maternal song (and all its other versions) instantly cries thinking of his/her mother. Just the intro of the song gives me chills and jerks up mini-tears. It's that powerful.

1. Jose Mari Chan ft. Cheri Gil - Sing Me Your Song Again, Daddy


This affected me the most, because I really love my father so much (and my grandfather, too). It's about a girl's wedding and remembering her father, and sad that she won't be able to see her father often or hear his lullabies anymore. It's kinda like the 3rd and 2nd song put together to make this ultimate heartbreaking song, that everybody has to grow up and leave their parents (and/or their old life) behind soon - the sad reality of life.

Runner-ups:

Bee gees - Tragedy

It's just dark, sober and qualifying for heartbreak moments. A good theme song for when you just want to *inserts Queen Elsa* let it go.

Bobby Goldsboro - Honey 

It's about a man singing of memories with a girl (Honey) who planted a tree which grew up as their relationship continued. The song ends with Honey somewhat dying and the man still sees the tree and realized their relationship's significance. Much like Green Green Grass of Home, it's also some sort of a plot twist story, but less sad.

Barry Manilow - Copacabana

You think an upbeat song can't be sad? Nah, this one proves it right. Lola is a club dancer who falls in love with a guy named Tony, then a rich guy named Rico steals her from Tony and the two men clash and Tony dies. Lola, after 30 years, becomes insane. Ah, tragedies.

Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

So basically, it's about a drugged kid who's life is already wasted but still loves his mother despite being already a mess, and doesn't want anything bad to happen to her, and greatly regrets everything. It kind of shows the hidden truth that just because someone's in the darkness doesn't mean they'll reject the light - they might just be hiding it and they still care for their important people.

EDIT (forgot to add):

Conway Twitty - Don't Cry Joni

It's a one-sided age-difference romance. The girl (Joni) is 15 and she is in love with a 22-year-old guy (Jimmy) whom she'll never get due to age difference. In the end, when the guy returns home to propose to her, she's already married the guy's best friend, John. :'(

===========================

Like this list? Comment below on what else top 10 you'd like me to blog about!

No comments: