Tuesday, September 24, 2013

"It's not my fault that I'm unpopular!" - WataMote Review

Okay, so I thought this would be one of those nichijou (everyday life) school animes but of course I'm always wrong. From its first summary I could already assume the main character would be something like Lain Iwakura or Takumi Nishijou, a.k.a. anti-social introverts. And I was pretty much right, though there are much more deeper content than the two characters' series.




WataMote is a portmanteau of the long phrase, Watashi ga Motenai no wa dō Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! (No Matter How I Look at It, It’s You Guys' Fault I’m Not Popular!). Tomoko Kuroki is not just your ordinary awkward girl who has trouble connecting with society (like me, long ago and sometimes even now), she is a Motenai Shoujo or Mojyo (Unpopular Girl) whose lips stutter to almost everyone she speaks to, and is mostly ignored by everyone. The anime is simply about her miserable life, told in a rather comical way.



The catch about this anime is that, I was surprised that so many people could relate to her, not just me, even if the things she's done and have experienced were all insane and unrealistic or stupid, beyond the norms. I've looked around Tumblr and a lot of users, especially girls, have stated that they had experiences similar to Tomoko, and are greatly depressed by the anime, despite being a light comical series. Guess it shows how much people are actually like me when I was in school.

Surprisingly enough, a lot of Tomoko's experiences are parallel to mine, including:
  • Being a loner (incl. eating alone, going into shops alone, etc.)
  • Difficulty in conversing with people
  • Loves anime, games, otaku stuff
  • Messy and geeky appearance
  • NBSB (although I have a bf now, but not until college)
  • Forgetting text books
  • Having daydreams and delusions
  • Persistent in doing things
  • Kinda short, has eyebags, black hair
  • Uses her music player (or anime/games) to drift away from society's troubles
  • A lot more
(Spoiler alert starts here)

Personally, I think Tomoko existing in the first place is a comfort for my soul. Sure, many who can relate to her (or even those who can't) feel sorry for her, I do as well, but I think her purpose is to give us hope, because throughout the anime, she never gave up in trying to get her existence to be known, but in the end, she just accepted who she is, because it's the thing that makes her the most comfortable of all.

Simply put, in the end, she learned to accept her terrible fate, but is still rooting for hopes in the future someday, because there's still a long way to go for her.

To be honest, I've seen in Tomoko not just my past self, but also some of my present self, like someone who has lost hope in the end. However, deep within her, she did not give up completely. This is signified by the fact that she is chained in the OP sequence but breaks free to destroy the glass screen but hurts herself. It has a deep meaning, much like wanting to change herself but in the end, she only found herself. This theme is similar to Wreck-It-Ralph, if you've watched the movie.

From here, thanks for reading this far! And, without further ado, here's a small little (hurtful and emotional) AMV that I did, featuring other animes as well:







2 comments:

Dream Forecast said...

Nice review AND video ... Now I want to watch the anime, lol.

Kristel "Kazaki" Cuadra said...

Thank you! Heheh, yeah the anime is great, and I'm sure you'll relate to it as well! XD