Sunday, November 25, 2012

The City above the Moon [Review Time]

There are four things I'm going to review today.


Madeon

If you like she / shemusic / Lain Trzaska, then you are sure to love his ally, who had already been the house DJ in the recent MTV EMA awards. Hugo Pierre Leclercq, a.k.a. Madeon, is a French DJ under the influence of Daft Punk and has quite similar sounds to she, except he's more of a house producer (and a close buddy of his, actually).


 

His music, as with she, is very melodic and heavily she-influenced. Had I not known she, I would've jumped so high at the awesomeness of Madeon's music. But what adds to his appeal is his DJ-ing skills, especially his live mash-up of "Pop Culture", some 30+ mainstream songs mashed together using a Novation Launchpad (a square pad with buttons all over it). I'd say, he's also a great artist you can check out, even if he only has a few songs and have yet to have a real album or EP for that matter.

And guess what: HE'S ONLY 18 YEARS OLD. O____O

To The Moon

I haven't watched this PewDiePie LP (let's play) yet because we didn't have fast internet back then. Now I've finally seen the series, but it was not quite a tearjerker as I've expected - it was more of a subtle sci-fi soap opera affixed into a pixel game similar to Ib. But nonetheless,To The Moon's story is quite superb, but what is more astounding is the soundtrack itself, which overall amplifies the sadness and solemnity of the characters and the story. The mild classical and piano pieces will always get you in the mood, but not completely depressed, as many would expect. 

For me, it was just like learning to accept death and yet, never giving up on your dreams. It also had some personal appeal to me because of the fact that there is an event there where the main character (Johnny / the old man) hid something from his past because it was too painful. But in truth, in order for you to achieve your goals in life, you must turn that moment around, even only with your mind, and you will achieve anything (e.g. Johnny's dream of going to the moon as an astronaut). 

Also worth noting are the large amounts of cultural references and side games, such as Plants vs. Zombies, Final Fantasy, Twilight, Whack-A-Mole (what? O_O), and many other BA DUM TSS moments that actually made me laugh rather than cry. 

But over all, To The Moon is very beautiful, and I think that the ending is quite enough and satisfies me.

The Witch's House

If you liked Ib, but want an edgier gameplay, then The Witch's House is for you. Equipped with tons of jumpscares, this pixel game is no joke, as I've seen in PewDie's LP. Surprisingly, not only is there an abundance of jumpscares, but the whole story / plot itself is a jumpscare in the fact that the main core of the story is only revealed in the end (if you get the true ending, that is, as with PewDie's LP). 

You might feel a bit dissapointed with the story, but in another way, the two main characters there (Viola and the witch) are more like Ib and Mary (from Ib the game, with a similar gameplay), in such a way that both of them has a soft side and you can't argue that depriving either one of them from happiness sounds really bad, because both of them have issues of their own. 

Other than that, if you're looking for simple but mind-slashing first-person horror, then this game is a must-try.

The Spark Gap (Julie Bertagna)

My bf's sister lent me this, and I've just finished it yesterday. It's the story of three kids who drifted from their normal lives to be stray kids living on a rooftop of a building, and eventually going on adventures together. I'd say, for a fantasy-reality story, it's not bad and I think it's quite cool.

Kerrie, the main character, is a character whom I can relate to, because she's practically stuck inside a loophole of a demented reality and the refusal of accepting hard facts in life. I think she's trying to teach me a lesson on to simply mend broken bonds and be reminded that we have the power to change our futures by doing something today. Other than that, she's also a musician by the way (a lead guitarist) and is a member of their all-girl indie band Restless Souls (think K-ON! LOL).

Skip, the secondary character, is the representation of my imaginative self. While Kerrie is the reality-part of the story, Skip represents the fantasy part. He's a geeky kid with his so-called 'sparkly' (which, in my opinion, is a simple Compact Disc he spins around), armed with a historical book about 'Avalon' and an organ pipe (presumably a harmonica, we have that in our house). He's quite the awkward and yet imaginative kid, and has a sense of adventure. 

Together, Kerrie and Skip mend my torn self as a whole, both fiction and non-fiction parts of me, into a whole person endlessly seeking for my purpose. But don't we all?

Other than those personal reflections, The Spark Gap, despite being an old publication (1996), is a good read (if you can somehow get by British English, that is).

No comments: