Monday, August 13, 2012

Longplayer, Dubstep, Autotune, etc.


Why do you think I am posting this?

The above mentioned things have always been criticized due to their being "unnatural" forms of music. But my opinion is that, they are still music, no matter how much technology you put into them. Music doesn't depend on simplicity or complexity; it depends on how much heart or emotion the creator has put into it.

I will further elaborate this.




Longplayer is a piece of music that is originally 20 minutes in length. It is further processed by a computer to shuffle the arrangements and include ALL the possible things that can be applied to a piece of music (e.g. tempo, pitch, etc.). Even if it is completely automated by technology to keep playing for (an estimated) 1000 years, it's still a piece of music, no matter how boring it may sound to other people. Personally, I think this kind of music is the type of ethnic music that would be playing as a background while you're inside a Dojo or any ancient ruins. It's not something that's completely automated - how would Longplayer (or any other song) be composed without first producing the sounds live? 


Dubstep...I've talked about this before in many posts. I mean seriously - dubstep, for me, is the electronic equivalent of post-hardcore. The breakdown/scream/growl parts (and double pedals too) of a post-hardcore song correspond to the 'wob wob' parts of a dubstep song, while they also both have melodic choruses. And as with post-hardcore, dubstep was also meant to be complex, something that sets it apart from house, techno and trance. People who complain that dubstep is too redundant must have heard dubstep that has influence of house, because house (along with techno and trance) were meant to be repeating because THAT is their true genre style. 














Autotune have already been criticized since the days of Daft Punk (who had been pioneers of French House and Autotuned music), just as much as today. For me, Autotune is only a tool for making futuristic vocal effects - I don't use it to correct pitches, as far as possible, because it sounds stupid using it that way (I prefer Newtone though). But let me grab a quote from Daft Punk's member, Thomas Bangalter:

"Criticizing the Vocoder is like asking bands in the ’60s, ‘Why do you use the electric guitar?’ It’s just a tool... no big deal. Creation is interaction."

So...that's it. I know I'm probably offending a lot here, but these are only my opinions. Each of us have different tastes and viepoints in music. What might sound interesting to me might sound boring to another person, and vice versa. Thanks for reading. :)